Next I dyed the yarn and sized it with rabbit skin glue.
Wound the stiff, sized yarn into many balls.
Warped the Schacht Wolf Pup LT loom for sampling.
Samples. I thought I'd weave the cloth in a houndstooth twill but I didn't like how the sample turned out (top sample). My weft yarn was a single ply and there were slight variations in thickness - the variations didn't work well in herringbone. So, I tried other combinations until I found one I liked. I had to cut off the sample, re-thread the heddles and re-sley the reed and tie the new warp onto the cloth beam.
Once I was sure of what I wanted I warped the loom and started to weave. I broke six warp ends during weaving and repaired each one according to the instructions in LEARNING TO WEAVE. For my next big handspun weaving project I'm going to use commercial yarn in the warp - I spent a lot of time worrying about fraying and breakage. I also spent a lot of time spraying starch on the warp to make it even stiffer. I don't know if it helped or not.
One week later...
Before washing my fabric measured 5.5 yds by 17 inches wide. It is soft with a nice hand and the perfect weight for a tailored wool vest. I soaked the fabric in hot water with Woolite, swished it a little, and rinsed. I laid it out flat to dry and can't wait to cut into it!
Here are my thoughts on my first big weaving project. I'll do it again, and soon. I'll use commercial warp next time and I'll double the ends at the edges because those seemed to break the most easily. I overestimated how much warp yarn I'd need and underestimated on the warp. I AM GLAD I SAMPLED. For a diehard non-swatcher, this is big.
I feel like Pioneer Woman!!! And it all started with a little Cricket Loom...